Skip to main content

Immigration & Visas

Immigration & Visas
Immigration & Visas

Immigration & Visas

If you are a non-citizen student and would like to study in the United States, you will generally need a student visa.

A visa is a stamp in a person's passport that permits the individual to legally enter the United States. Your visa status is the immigration category that you were granted when you entered the United States, such as F-1 or J-1. 

In order to remain in the United States legally, you must maintain your visa status throughout your entire time here. Students are required to follow certain rules and regulations in order to maintain their visa status. Failure to maintain your visa status can result in serious consequences such as a student's removal from the United States or future inadmissibility to the United States.

The Office of International Education can provide you with information and advice you need to maintain your status. However, maintaining your visa status is your responsibility.

Student Visas at Buffalo State

Most international students at Buffalo State have one of two types of nonimmigrant status:

  • F-1 status: Most Buffalo State students are in F-1 status. If you are coming to Buffalo State to enroll in a full degree program, you will likely have F-1 status.
  • J-1 status: J-1 status is primarily for students who come to the United States to participate in an exchange program, generally for a year or less.


Student Resources: Study in the States


Back to Top

International Student and Scholar Services

1300 Elmwood Ave  •  South Wing 410 •  Buffalo, NY 14222
Phone: (716) 878-5331 •  Fax: (716) 878-3054