- International Admissions
- Immigration & Visas
- Life at Buffalo State
- Connect with Us
Obtaining a Driver's License
Steps to apply for driver's license without Social Security Number:
1. Go to the Social Security Office with your passport, I-94, and Current properly endorsed 1-20 Form.
2. Inform the Social Security Office that you are not eligible for a Social Security Number because you are not working.
3. Ask the Social Security Office to issue you a letter indicating that you are not eligible for a Social Security Number.
4. Present the letter from the Social Security Office to the Department of Motor Vehicles (this is a separate office).
5. The Department of Motor Vehicles should issue you a number that should allow you to follow the process to apply for a Driver's License.
Department of Motor Vehicles
170 Pearl Street
Buffalo, NY 14202
Back to Top