Skip to main content

Obtaining a Social Security Number

For tax purposes, anyone receiving income in the US must provide their employer with a Social Security number. If you have been authorized to work either on or off campus, and you meet Social Security's eligibility requirements, you can apply for a Social Security number. To apply for a Social Security number, you must apply in person at the local Social Security Administration office.

To apply for a Social Security number:

  • Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5)
  • Show the Social Security office original documents proving your work-authorized immigration status, and age
  • Take your completed application and original documents to your local Social Security Office

Still have questions? Many answers regarding applying for a Social Security Number can be found here:

International Students and Social Security Numbers

Local Social Security Office

478 Main St

Suite 200

Buffalo, NY 14202


Back to Top

International Student and Scholar Services

1300 Elmwood Ave  •  South Wing 410 •  Buffalo, NY 14222
Phone: (716) 878-5331 •  Fax: (716) 878-3054